Trusted IoT data for global environment monitoring
Today’s IoT environmental monitoring systems are of two types: 1) either they are closed to any external participation, i.e. only a specific organisation conducts the monitoring, so citizens cannot participate, or 2) they are open to anybody to register a device and provide monitoring data, but do not provide any guarantee on that data, thus the value of these data is too limited, making it difficult to trust the information generated.
LoRaTRUST proposes a new concept of attributing value to both the measured IoT data and the IoT devices (sensor nodes and gateways). LoRaTRUST will leverage blockchain-based distributed ledger to register and account the contribution of IoT devices and their data, and enabling a data trust system that contributes to the trustworthiness of the IoT data.
The technologies developed in LoRaTRUST will enable novel open and public IoT infrastructures, sustained by incentives for participation, where the data produced will become of value for diverse stakeholders. The expected impact consists in the growth of trustful environmental monitoring applications that will become omnipresent, enlarging greatly the societal knowledge of environmental impact in both the urban and rural areas.
Saulo Jacques – Project Coordinator
Felix Freitag – Research Leader
Pedro Vilchez – Development Leader
Valentina Cristofoli – Market and Business Leader
Sergi Lanuza – Developer
Aram Puig – Developer
Eloi Harillo – Developer
- A data trust system that enhances the value of data produced by the IoT devices.
- An accounting system for data device owner and data producer contributions to the network
The LoRaTRUST team has several years of experience working with blockchain technologies and decentralized systems. Our fields of expertise are the research and the development of decentralized applications that integrate blockchain technology. Recently, we started looking at the application of blockchain for the IoT.
- E. Cruz Harillo, F. Freitag. LoRaCoin: Towards a blockchain-based platform for managing LoRa devices. IEEE Infocom Poster 2022.
- E. Dimogerontakis, Navarro, L., Selimi, M., Mosquera, S., and Freitag, F., “MeshDapp – Blockchain-enabled Sustainable Business Models for Networks”, in 16th International Conference on Economics of Grids, Clouds, Systems & Services, Leeds, 2019.
- E. San Miguel, Timmerman, R., Mosquera, S., Dimogerontakis, E., Freitag, F., and Navarro, L., “Blockchain-Enabled Participatory Incentives for Crowdsourced Mesh Networks”, in 16th International Conference on Economics of Grids, Clouds, Systems & Services, Leeds, 2019.
- F. Freitag, “On the Collaborative Governance of Decentralized Edge Microclouds with Blockchain-Based Distributed Ledgers”, in 1st International Workshop on Blockchain Technology for Multi-Agent Systems (BCT4MAS), in 2018 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI), 2018.